Important Resources for Veterans
Although many veterans of the U.S. military are discharged and come back to seamlessly transition into civilian life, others are not so fortunate. There are numerous problems that plague veterans of all ages, including physical health issues, mental health conditions (especially post-traumatic stress disorder), lack of work and homelessness.
If you are a veteran in need of any kind of assistance, it is important that you take advantage of the numerous resources available to get you the help you need and deserve. The following are some of these resources and how you can get in touch with them:
- Health Benefits — This is your main starting point to receiving veterans benefits. Here you can learn what benefits you are eligible for and fill out the appropriate applications. You also have the opportunity to talk to representatives from the VA if you have any questions.
- Homeless Services — The VA has a goal of ending veteran homelessness within the next five years. As such, the agency offers numerous resources, support programs and benefits to assist homeless veterans. This site has a list of those programs and resources.
- Mental Health — Many veterans come away from war suffering from mental health conditions, including PTSD. This site has resources that focus on improving the mental wellbeing of veterans through better healthcare, education and social services.
- Veterans Crisis Line — The Veterans Crisis Line can be reached at 1-800-273-8255. This line is toll-free and confidential, connecting veterans in crisis with highly qualified and caring responders at the VA.
- Substance Abuse Programs — Substance abuse is a common problem among veterans. This page offers resources for treatment of life-threatening addictions and alcohol abuse.
- Women Veterans Health Care — This site has resources specifically geared toward female veterans and the challenges they face.
For more helpful veterans resources, speak with an experienced veterans benefits lawyer at Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban Give us a call at 866-866-VETS or contact us online. We serve veterans nationwide.