VA Benefits Attorneys Fight for Vets with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Post-traumatic stress disorder is a terrible burden to a multitude of veterans who endured the horror of combat. At Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban, we desperately want our injured warriors to receive the medical care they deserve. If you have a problem claiming your disability benefits for PTSD, we will fight to deliver the best results possible. With more than 100 years of combined legal experience, our lawyers know VA regulations and procedures, and we’re determined to find a way forward with your claim.
Causes and symptoms of PTSD
PTSD results from a complex combination of causes: heredity, biology and exposure to trauma, either in a single severe episode or in the aggregate from childhood onward. A person does not have to go to war to acquire PTSD, and everyone who engages in combat is not similarly affected. But the rigors of battle make PTSD much more likely.
Symptoms of PTSD include:
- Intrusive memories — Recurrent, distressing memories in dreams or while awake, often with severe emotional or physical reactions
- Flashbacks — Suddenly reliving a past event
- Avoidance — Retreating from thoughts, avoiding people, places and events that trigger memories, and refusing to talk about the traumatic event
- Depression — Negative feelings or emotional numbness accompanied by a lack of interest in activities, hopelessness about the future, and suicidal thoughts
- Memory problems — Gaps in memory of the traumatic event and difficulty with short-term memory
- Loss of emotional control — Strong emotional highs and lows, skittishness and self-destructive behavior
If you or someone you love is experiencing these warning signs, seek qualified medical assistance immediately. Use our site to get started in your search for VA benefits, or for information on VA benefits appeals. You can also access these useful links. But the most important thing is to consult a knowledgeable benefits attorney.
The ordeal of aging vets with late-onset PTSD
PTSD is now a widely-recognized medical condition. Veterans of the Iraq War and the war in Afghanistan should be able to get an accurate diagnosis and treatment, although, due to the mismanagement of the VA, that often takes great persistence. However, a silent crisis is building among older veterans who never got a proper diagnosis of PTSD. Many older veterans may just now be feeling the weight of their wartime experience. For these vets, retirement gives them more time to reflect, which opens the door to troubling memories. The infirmities of age may make them more susceptible to PTSD symptoms. Some may retreat into alcohol or drug use as a coping mechanism. At Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban, we want to reach out to these vets and let them know they are entitled to benefits even later in life.
Contact our VA benefits law firm for help for vets with PTSD
If you or a veteran you love suffers from PTSD and has been denied VA benefits, Marcari, Russotto, Spencer & Balaban, P.C can help. Wherever you are across the country, we can put our knowledge and experience to work for you on this life and death issue. When you retain our legal service, you pay no fees unless we win your claim for benefits. Call us today at 866-866-VETS or contact us online.